Wednesday, May 20, 2009

It was a wonderful birthday this year.

Friday, May 15th was my 53rd birthday. It was a good birthday this year. Spent it with my daughter, my hubby and my grand-daughter and some friends from the Mainland. We had bbq chicken, ribs and hamburgers and hotdogs AND Rachel's world class margaritas. I only had one and was fairly snockered. Yeah, I know, I'm a cheap drunk.

Rachel gave me a makeover for my gift. Haircut and color, massage, manicure and pedicure. I took advantage of that on Saturday. SOOOO, I look brand new and at least 10 years younger. I feel relaxed, my nails on hands and feet look wonderful. I went red for nails and hair! It looks good if I do say so myself. I'll post pictures later.

David, my dear husband, gave me what is probably the best gift I've ever received. He gave me a weekend to myself in a nice hotel in Waikiki. That takes place next weekend, the 29th. I can hardly wait. He arranged for a nurse to come in and take care of him while I am gone. My parents are paying the nurse. My sis gave me a gift certificate to Red Lobster, one of my favorite restaraunts. It is just down the street from the hotel. I am so looking forward to this.

Lots of people would not want to stay in a hotel by themself or eat at a restaraunt alone, but I am going to love this. I have not had a single "day off" in 3 years since David had back surgery. I have to bathe him, dress him, even wipe his butt. He is in a wheelchair and at this point in his life, he can't do anything for himself, except eat and drink and use the computer. I have to serve up and cut up his food, but thankfully he can still feed himself. He is right handed, but can't lift that arm anymore so he uses his left hand. This is hard, since he is pretty weak in that arm too, but we try to have him do what he can for himself. As far as dressing, he can put on his socks, so he does that, but I do the rest. I use a hoyer lift to transfer him from bed to wheelchair or onto the toilet. We don't have a wheel in shower, so I give him a bed bath.

So, this gift from him and my parents and Rachel and my sister, is probably more valuable to me than it would be to most people. I am going to get room service. I am going to walk the beach with my metal detector. I'm going to sit around in the jacuzzi. AND, I look pretty again. What a cool birthday. Thank you, friends and family. You all ROCK!

Kat

2 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! You SO deserve a little pampering and time to yourself...and as a reminder that you need to do it more often for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well take me with you, I love a lone hotel room for just 24 hours. I know exactly what you speak of. I won't bother you at all just book me in the same hotel so, I can sleep in peace.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog!